Friday, August 20, 2010

Now what?

So, the past two days my blogging time has been spent staring intently at Monkey.  After I picked her up from preschool (her second day there BTW) and we ate supper, I noticed that she had a little bit of a rash on her skin.  Most of the time I am not worried by it because she is kind of a rashy baby.  Her skin is somewhat sensitive, so sometimes she has bumps on her skin that aren't red, they are just there.  Well, in a matter of 15-20 minutes they started turning red and it start spreading.  Within the hour she had developed hives.  It took me something like 1 hour and 45 minutes to finally get in touch with someone who knew what to do with her.  I actually ended up talking to one of her old GI Dr's who happened to be on call.  I told her that I was so sorry to bother her and it was not a GI issue, but she was my last resort.  She was absolutely fine with talking to me.  She even asked for updates on Monkey since she hadn't seen her in awhile.  So, after talking to Dr. H and deciding to do a good dose of Benadryl, Monkey crashed.  She was so tired!  All the while, I was also on FB talking with a few of my fellow liver moms about their opinions of what to do.  LOVE THEM!  I also learned a few tidbits of valuable information along to way to bring up with her allergist and other Dr's.

I was so concerned that she had gotten into peanuts or something else that I made her a pallet to sleep on in the front room while I was still awake so I could keep an eye on her.  Then when it was time for bed, I took her to bed with me and (of course) I stayed awake just staring at her hoping that she didn't start having any breathing problems.  She slept fine, mommy not so much.  In the morning she was fine and just had the non red bumps all over again.  I kept giving her the benadryl as directed by her allergist's nurse.  Well, yesterday evening she broke out again.  No hives this time thanks to the dosing of Benadryl.  None the less, I kept a pretty good eye on her last night too even though she slept in her own bed.  I slept not so well because of being worried about her.  When she woke up this morning, she was fine again so off to school we went.  I got called at like 9:30 to come and get her because she was breaking out again.  This time she also has horrible diaper rash and it is running down her legs as well. 

So, of course I called everyone involved with her care including her allergists office again.  Only this time I wanted an appointment with the allergist because I think it is time to see what else she might be allergic to.  I'm not a happy momma right now.  The answer I received was "We don't do emergency appointments.  We can see her in September.  See if you can get her in to see her primary care."  Umm....aren't you guys supposed to be the specialists?  Isn't he just going to tell me to see you guys anyway?  Why do we need to wait for something like this?  She needs to be seen sooner rather than later so it doesn't develop into something else.  "Well, we don't do emergency appointments.  Her primary care should be able to handle this."  UGH!  So, I called and am getting an appointment for Monday for her since her pediatrician is closed today so he can move his office into a much needed bigger facility.  I guess I am going to have to play the guessing game as to what is making her break out over the weekend.  If it gets too bad I guess we will see the E.R. again.  *sigh*  Why can't Monkey ever present with anything easy?  Just once? 

So, sorry for already failing, but it was actually for a good reason this time.  Monkey watch!  Hope you all have a great weekend.  I am sure mine will be...interesting.


  1. i hope monkey wouldnt feel so bad over the weekend so you can get some decent sleep :)

  2. Hey, thanks for commenting at my site - I could see that you were back in blog land! I'm sorry you're dealing with the allergy stuff. It is so hard to figure out, and in the meantime, you worry if they're not feeling well. Hang in there!