Monday, March 9, 2009

Bye, I love you

While on a shopping trip with the huz this weekend I heard the words "Bye, I love you" uttered and I instantly wanted to smack the person who dared utter them in my presence. Let me set the scene for you...

I am patiently waiting for the huz to try on clothes just so I can tell him "No, that shirt does not go with those shorts, but I like both. Just not together." when I hear a small child playing the next aisle over. It just so happened to be the baby section of the store. Then I hear his mom say something to the effect of "Come on, we need to go" and the child keeps playing. The next thing I hear is "I'll leave you here if you don't come with me" which, of course, the child ignored. Then, she proceeded to say "Bye, I love you" and she walked away from him! Not just one or two steps. She walked about 12 feet away!

When I saw this, I walked over to see the child. It was a little boy who was maybe 2 years old. He looked up and instantly got a panicked look in his eyes, but didn't move. The mother walked back down the aisle and rather than grabbing his hand and taking him with her, she stood there telling him how they needed to leave. Well, once mommy returned, he started to play again. She again said "Bye, I love you" and walked away from him....this time further...without looking back!

I was instantly pissed at this woman. Then, it happened three more times! I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears. How could she do that? That's not love, that's torture. Every time he realized she walked away he panicked. The store was crowded that day too. Someone could have been watching, just like I was, and easily grabbed him when she walked away from him one of those times WITH HER BACK TURNED.

Also, you don't negotiate with a 2 year old and then walk away when his answer is to ignore you. Mommyhood to a 2 year old should not be a democracy. You take his hand or pick him up and take him with you. Then, you deal with whatever happens to be the reaction to that. I may be delusional, and my mind might change about that, but right now...this is where I stand.

I understand the frustration, and embarrassment, of dealing with a screaming child in the middle of a crowded and very public place. I really do. However, walking away from your child is NOT an answer. EVER. Sorry if I have offended anyone who has done this, it's just not an option for me.

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment