Thursday, March 19, 2009

Keep your comments to yourself!

Have you ever been in a store or a restaurant or a waiting room with your child and overheard someone say something about them? I'm not talking something to the effect of "Oh, how cute" or "See the baby". I am talking something that is kind of negative or downright rude. Yes, no, maybe?

Well, that happened yesterday to Ember and I. We were at the Dr's office with my mom and Ember was making noises, nothing too bad or anything. At one point during her little noise escapade, she made a few really high pitched noises with the help of grandma. (They were playing and Ember got a little excited!) NOT a big deal. Well, there was a woman and her pre-teen daughter sitting two chairs down from us. I heard her daughter ask her something, but I didn't understand her. Then I heard the woman say to her daughter, "Nothing, just making that baby show off". The tone of her voice was very judgemental.

I totally wanted to get up, walk over to her and smack her say, "Excuse me for having a happy baby! If you even knew what this child has been through, you wouldn't mind a high pitched squeak every once in awhile. Keep your comments about my baby to yourself!" I don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did! It was almost as if she was teaching her daughter that babies should be seen and not heard. Well, I have news for all of you out there. My baby will be seen and heard whenever she wants to. She is going to be taught that sometimes it's alright to speak up when you are not spoken to. (Among other things) If you don't like it, don't listen. However, I better not catch you telling her she should be seen and not heard.

My old boss used to be referred to as the Momma Bear because of how she fought for her team and she always stood up for us. Well, that is what I am when it comes to Ember, and this Momma Bear isn't nice when it comes to things like that. Keep that in mind next time you want to talk poorly about my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment